Zero Emission Cruise in Norwegian Fjords by 2026
Date and time: Wednesday, February 13th 2019, 10:00-16:00
Venue: The hybridelectric vessel "Vision of the Fjords” (Langkaien, opposite Oslo Opera House)
Lunch will be served
The increasing number of cruise tourists to Norway has created challenges with respect to both pollution and emissions, as well as the public perception of the industry.
Both national and local regulations are being prepared that will have an effect on reducing emissions and the general impact from the industry. Some of the proposed regulations will also have effect on the type and size of ships that will be able to comply in due time:
Will zero-emission compliance by 2026 be possible only to a limited number of smaller vessels?
What impact will this have on the activity at the destinations?
What infrastructure will be needed to support zero-emission shipping?
Bellona invites to a seminar with industry stakeholders and politicians to discuss the impact of the coming environmental regulations in the World Heritage Fjords and other cruise destinations along the coast. Industry stakeholders and politicians have a shared goal to identify possible ways forward for developing a sustainable and economically viable cruise tourism in world heritage fjords and other cruise destinations.
10.00 Welcome and introduction
Jan Kjetil Paulsen, Bellona
Session 1: The Politicians’ Vision for Zero Emission Tourism
- Atle Hamar, State Secretary, Ministry of Climate and Environment
- Else-May Botten, Member of the Standing Committee on Energy and the Environment
- Kjetil Lund, Vice Mayor for Business Development and Public Ownership, Oslo
- Noralv Distad, Mayor Aurland Municipality
Session 2: Cruise operators and service providers
- Solrun Hjelleflåt, The Fjords
- Tom Strang, Senior Vice President, Maritime Affairs, Carnival Corp.
- Nicolai Skogland, Director Port Operations, Viking Cruises
- Tor E. Svensen, Vice President, Marine Technology, Royal Caribbean
- Rune Thomas Ege, VP Global Communications, Hurtigruten
12.00-13.00 Lunch and mingling
Session 3: Zero Emission Technology Status
- Sondre Henningsgård, Maritime Battery forum
- Ove Bjørneset, Vice President, VARD Electro
- Jostein Bogen, Vice President, ABB
- Jørgen Kopperstad, Havyard Group
- Jan Erik Granholdt, Becker Marine
- Hege Økland, CEO NCE Maritime Cleantech
Session 4: Panel discussion
Politics and Business
Introduction by Arild Molstad, Writer and advisor on sustainable tourism
Contact: Christina Ianssen
Jan Kjetil Paulsen