Do you want to help catapult the shipping sector into the 21st century, create new solutions and contribute to zero emission pathways? Bellona is looking to recruit an Advisor to our team working on shipping, energy carriers and infrastructure.
Your role will be to analyse and assess climate solutions, participate in relevant regulatory development processes, represent Bellona in relevant debates/circles, and help deliver projects that support accelerated change in the maritime sector.
Bellona works on the systemic solutions needed for net zero. The large vessels operating deep-sea today are challenging to decarbonize. Our work is directed towards the longer technology development processes, while also looking for options for short-term emissions reductions. Central topics are energy carriers and energy efficiency measures. Our activities include stakeholders in the entire maritime value chain, from technology providers, yards and shipping companies, to ports, regulators and industry associations.
The Bellona Foundation is an independent non-profit organisation that aims to meet and fight the climate challenges, through identifying and implementing sustainable environmental solutions. Founded in 1986 as a direct-action protest group, we have become a recognised solution-oriented organisation with offices in Oslo, Brussels, Berlin and Russia, and activities across other countries, including the Netherlands, Central-Eastern Europe, the USA and the UK. Altogether, some 60 engineers, ecologists, nuclear physicists, economists, lawyers, political scientists and journalists work at Bellona. We are engaged in a broad spectrum of current national and international environmental questions and issues around the world.
Ways of working
- Contribute to developing Bellona’s work on zero emission solutions and energy carriers for shipping, i.e.,
- Prepare and communicate qualitative and quantitative analyses on policy, technology, and markets
- Draft relevant publications, articles, and consultation responses
- Monitor relevant legislative and political developments and processes
- Work with partners in Oslo and internationally, and establish a network of relevant stakeholders and partners
- Represent Bellona in relevant meetings, conferences, working groups and events
- Participate in and/or lead ongoing projects
- Bring attention to solutions through media, networking and events
Skills and requirements
- Relevant technical and analytical skills
- 2-3 years’ experience in shipping/maritime sector
- Knowledge of global value chains for conventional and zero emission energy carriers
- Excellent spoken and written English, and proficiency in Norwegian
- Proven analytical capability, as evidenced by an outstanding quantitative degree or equivalent.
- Ability to collaborate effectively with colleagues across Bellona.
- Ability and willingness to occasionally travel internationally, as required (and COVID permitting)Personal qualificationsBellona advisors work on technology and policy-related questions in complex environments. An ability to quickly understand new issues, gather information, and prepare precise and reliable analyses is important. Our advisors must be able to work in teams in Oslo and across the organization, and bring capacity and dedication. Flexibility in the work schedule is necessary, as there will be more and less work-intensive periods. Personal fit and complementary profiles will be emphasized.
Position and application
Bellona offers exciting work in a knowledgeable organization with a proven track record on climate and an extensive national and international network. The advisor position is part of Bellona’s policy team, consisting of 15 advisors working on a range of issues. The position is located in at our office in Oslo and reports to Head of Policy and Research. Bellona promotes a multicultural, flexible, inclusive and collaborative work environment. We offer remuneration competitive in the NGO/public sector. Starting date is as soon as possible.
Please send your application (max. 1 page cover letter and max. 2 page CV) to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject “Application shipping”. Photo attachments not needed. Application deadline: 05.05.2022.